As of 22 April 2020
Sydney MCS is continuously monitoring the COVID-19 situation and in response to the changing government regulations and to minimise the risk of the virus spreading, the majority of our staff will continue working remotely (to be reviewed). This is a temporary service model to reduce service disruption to the essential services Sydney MCS provides the community. The needs of our clients are at the heart of how we operate, therefore our priority is continuity of services. As we progress, each programme will update changes accordingly in line with their service delivery plan under the remote working model.
Settlement Services and ParentsNext
- Employment Support sessions and English classes have successfully started using Zoom video conferencing. Further online sessions and resources are currently in production and coming soon.
- We are continuing to deliver our services to the community including Settlement and ParentsNext clients by phone, SMS, email and video. Clients have been responsive and pleased with this continued communication.
Aged Care, Disability and CVS (Community Visitors Scheme)
- Sydney MCS is continuing to provide bilingual home care services to our Aged Care and Disability clients unless the advice received from the Department (of Health) changes. Please rest assured that if this occurs, alternate arrangements will be implemented
- Social Support Groups were suspended (as of 24 March 2020) until further notice, as per the advice received by the Department of Health. We are providing regular phone and email support, and endeavour to provide language-specific support (depending on availability). Clients have been pleased with this continuity of service in lieu of face to face support.
- CVS programme is restricted to short interval visits for some clients. We are increasing the number of virtual visits via telephone and email.
- We will continue to provide daily updates on all our digital media, primarily Facebook including free resources and information in other languages
- We have taken steps to ensure our staff and clients’ health, hygiene and safety
We are here to support you and hope you and your loved ones stay well during these complex times!
- NSW Health COVID-19 Resources (fact sheets, posters in multiple languages and Aboriginal community resources)
- Department of Health Translated resources
- Victoria State Government Translated resources (extensive languages)
- SBS Radio in various languages covering COVID-19 topics (63 languages)
- Coronavirus Explained in Your Language (videos in 32 languages)
- JNC Coronavirus Support – Community Support from The Junction Neighbourhood Centre
- Access Easy English Resources – Simple English with graphics explaining the Coronavirus and changing rules
- NDIS Coronavirus Fact sheets in Accessible Easy Read English and four other languages
- Legal Aid NSW – Free Legal help during COVID-19
- NSW Residential Tenancy – Residential renting during COVID-19
- JobKeeper Payment Jobkeeper Payment information during COVID-19
- JobSeeker Payment Jobseeker Payment information during COVID-19
The newly arrived residents waiting period for JobSeeker Payment, Youth Allowance, Austudy, Parenting Payment Single and Partnered, Farm Household Allowance and Special Benefit is waived from 25 March 2020. This is due to coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Family Continuity Plan Relationships Australia NSW
- Looking after your Mental Health during Coronavirus Beyond Blue
- Helping Young People cope with stress related to Covid-19 headspace
- Wellbeing tips, strategies and support Lifeline
- Dedicated webpage and phone counselling Kids Helpline
- Multilingual information about mental health Embrace Mental Health
If you or someone you know is impacted by family or domestic violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.
Women from migrant and refugee backgrounds who are experiencing family or domestic violence can contact inTouch, the Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence on 1800 755 988 or visit intouch.org.au.
- Free English Learning Resources for Adults
- Free Primary School aged Courses, Activities, Games (Scholastic Australia)
- International Children’s Digital Library
- Free printable worksheets for children’s learning
- NSW Government Department of Education Resources – learning from home resources